ESOMAR LATAM Conference 2016, Bogotá (Colombia)
It is my pleasure to run again for the Esomar Council after my first two-year term. While preparing my candidacy, I must admit I have experienced a little joy. The joy of looking at two years back and get aware of Esomar’s and my own evolution.
During this period I have had the great experience of working with outstanding colleagues at the Council and the Esomar staff. This strong team has been capable of drawing a new strategy that has impacted on many layers; being the principal one the redefinition of the Code. A new Code that undoubtedly adapts Esomar to the current time.
In the Council, I have personally focused my attention and efforts on two main aspects: Communication and the link with National Representatives. Both have given me a much broader view of Esomar, its needs, challenges and diversity of members.
As a result of combining these “on the ground” experiences along with the Council and Esomar staff’s interaction, I have been able to draw the proposal that you can find below.
Hoping to renew your trust on this new election, I thank you in advance for your interest in my candidacy and I wish to count with your vote. All the best,
It should be agreed that we are not living an era of change but a change of era; a new era driven by digitization. Still at its initial phase, digitization has already transformed our societies and, therefore, our industry.
The need of understanding people’s opinions, desires and behaviours in their different roles is higher than ever. At the same time, it’s becoming more and more complex. The consumer/citizen comprehension requires a more holistic approach and the good command of new sets of data. Likewise, the means to collect this data evolve at a very fast pace propelled by technology evolution.
This context sets many challenges to our industry, consequently to ESOMAR as one of its key players. The core one, from my perspective, is to show the value and self-worth of Market Research. And more concretely, we need to:
- Help our current members to successfully adapt to this new context by delivering the most appropriate information and education programs, providing the most useful tools and creating excellent networking opportunities.
- Get bigger, get more members from the broad MR landscape, becoming relevant to everyone involved with data-driven marketing strategies. The new ICC/ESOMAR International Code opens our scope and allows us to embrace all related activities.
- Keep being the advocate of the Industry in front of the international and national legislators helping the other worldwide associations in all the industry’s auto-regulation initiatives.
- Support the Youth; promote the attractiveness of our sector.
- We are global and diverse. It is important to seize the different stages of the industry’s according to the different countries’ evolution. I believe that one of the main roles of ESOMAR is to facilitate the convenient spread of best practices and help the least developed countries upgrade their status.
- We are local. The real activity takes place at a local level. A relevant presence in each and every country is key as it is the role of our National Representatives.
These are, in brief, my main beliefs of the role of ESOMAR and the direction we should keep taking. In fact, these are the essential guidelines the current Council has undertaken in the last 2 years. I totally embrace them and would love to continue promoting them in the next term. On this occasion, I bring my international experience reinforced with a much better knowledge of the association and its members.
PS. I want to thank the public support of:
- Julia Helena Carrillo. County Manager Ipsos Ecuador.
- Jérôme Sopocko. Founder Askia. United Kingdom.
- Jean Michel Lelievre. CEO and Founder Interlink. France.
- Macarena Estévez. CEO and Founder Conento. Spain.
- Susana Marquis. Directora Susana Marquis. La investigación que inspira.
- Joachim Ritter. Head of Market Analytics Roche. Germany.
- Shinichi Hosokawa. CEO GMO Research. Japan.
- Martin Oxley. Managing Director Buzzback Europe. United Kingdom.